In 1991 the ARA introduced the workshop on hygienic rendering of animal products. This training program provides accreditation of individuals who successfully complete the workshop. Twenty-seven workshops had been conducted since 1991 and over 700 people have been accredited.
The workshop focuses on:
- Growth and survival characteristics of micro-organisms relevant to rendering;
- HACCP-based quality assurance for rendering;
- ARA Code of Practice and the revised Australian Standard for Rendering;
- Domestic and overseas requirements for production of rendered products;
- Heat transfer in rendering systems;
- Operation of presses;
- Hygienic design of rendering equipment;
- Tallow and meat meal specifications.
The next workshop will be held at the University of Queensland, Gatton from 8 - 13 February 2015.
Application forms will be available in October.