In 1991 the ARA introduced the workshop on hygienic rendering of animal products. This training program provides accreditation of individuals who successfully complete the workshop. Thirty-seven workshops have been conducted since 1991 and over 950 people have been accredited.
The workshop focuses on:
- Growth and survival characteristics of micro-organisms relevant to rendering;
- HACCP-based quality assurance for rendering;
- ARA Code of Practice and the revised Australian Standard for Rendering;
- Domestic and overseas requirements for production of rendered products;
- Heat transfer in rendering systems;
- Operation of presses;
- Hygienic design of rendering equipment;
- Tallow and meat meal specifications.
The workshops are held at the University of Queensland, Gatton at the end January / early February and again end June / early July each year
Application forms are available approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the next course.